miscarriage blog: babyfruit - the miscarriage diaries

miscarriage obsessions, celebrity miscarriage, miscarriage in the news...survival for the miscarrying woman. For complete blog, go to Babyfruit.com

1/29/2004

Results are in from the last blood test.
So far, so good.

HCG levels are 1920 - more than double
the first test. Good sign, says the CNM.

Progesterone is 33.1 - a tad lower than
last time but still in the high normal
range (6.6-40.3) of a pregnancy between
4-12 weeks.

Since calendars and dates are not my strongpoint
and since I forgot to record the first day of my
last period, we are not 100% sure of the exact
stage of my pregnancy, but I'm guessing the
first day of my last period was 12/24/03 so
I'm at about 5 weeks 1 day.

As an older pregnancy (anything over 35), I'm
going to be able to take part in a special screening
being done across the country (but not in Wyoming).
I'll have to go to Denver for it - it is called a
Quad Screen. Usually, you get a Triple Screen -
testing for possible birth defects.

The Quad Screen will be done at 11-12 weeks.
First it is a blood test and ultrasound. Then
at 14 weeks, another blood test. This will
show up to 98% certainty if there are neural
tube defects or Downs Syndrome. AND this is
in lieu of an amniocentesis which is an invasive
procedure (when a long needle is inserted into
the abdomen to draw out amniotic fluid from
the placenta to test).

I'm so full of information, aren't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home