miscarriage blog: babyfruit - the miscarriage diaries

miscarriage obsessions, celebrity miscarriage, miscarriage in the news...survival for the miscarrying woman. For complete blog, go to Babyfruit.com

1/26/2004

Now, for the good news. I'm pregnant again. Yes, a little more than 3 months since I miscarried, and I just triple checked with another home pregnancy test yesterday.

Strange thing - took a test Thursday. Negative. Oh well, I thought, we'll keep trying (always fun to try).

Saturday, still no period, but I hadn't been recording my cycle the last few months so was very confused about when it was supposed to start anyway. Took another test - Positive but faint.

I pulled out the first test from my cupboard (had saved it) to compare it to make sure I wasn't confused. And IT was POSITIVE, too! I guess I hadn't waited long enough. But then again, they say don't look at the results after 10 minutes and it had been 2 days.

So I picked up some more tests and did one more on Sunday. Positive. And I still don't have my period, although I did spot on Saturday and again on Sunday - very little, faded brownish. I'm thinking it was implantation spotting.

Last pregnancy I spotted at implantation but then began spotting again the following week. Then it stopped and I carried for another 4 weeks or so.

Now, I want to get tests to monitor my HCG and Progesterone levels. The new CNM's office tells me they don't really do this until a "pattern of miscarriages emerges."

Of course, my comment to that was "So you're telling me a woman has to suffer through several miscarriages before you start checking to see what is going on?" Seemed like cruel and unusual punishment to me.

So the nurse agreed to do a bloodtest to test my HCG levels today and then again on Wednesday to see if they are doubling. Well, that's a start, but it doesn't tell anything about the progesterone level in week 6 and beyond.

She mentioned a progesterone suppository but they usually give that BEFORE a woman gets pregnant and only when they know she has a problem with low progesterone.

Hey, I'm not looking for a cure-all drug. I'm not the type of person who likes taking any medications and certainly not one that will probably make me nauseaous sooner than later. But at my age (late 30s), I'd rather have some data and some support to at least try to help out this pregnancy. And if it doesn't take hold, then at least there is some data to help pinpoint the possible problem.

Is that so unreasonable?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home